What is Art? - The Dot

This week, we focused on our Unit of Inquiry's Key Concept of Perspective - "How is colour used in visual arts to represent beauty?" The story of "The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds facilitated our philosophical discussions and art activity.

The story:
Vashti is convinced she can’t draw. Her teacher encourages her to “make a mark
and see where it takes you.” Vashti makes a frustrated mark on the page, and her
teacher asks her to sign it. The next week, Vashti is surprised to find her dot
displayed for everyone to see. Realizing she can draw a better dot than that,
Vashti begins creating many more dots, in all different colours, sizes and styles.
Later Vashti meets a boy who is convinced that he can’t draw. Vashti encourages
the boy to “make a mark and see where it takes you,” which sets in motion a
whole new story.

Philosophical Discussion:
The Dot raises philosophical questions about the definition and evaluation of art.


Before reading the story or doing the activity I asked the children:


“What is Art?”
Painting. - Alena
Making puppies, rainbows and cats with paint. - Isla
Making stuff that is artistic, like flowers, trees and cherry blossoms. - Olin
Doing crafts like paper mache and drawings - Dougie
Making paintings that we put in the cubbies. - Ellen
When I use stickers and paint fishes and eyes. - Aegon


After this opening conversation we made our own dot activity and then read the
story. The conversation deepened and thoughts and opinions took flight. I didn’t
record who said what at this point because the children were being so open
minded, listening to each other’s ideas and even trying them on for size that
some of the opinions were as fluid as the paint they were using. We also decided
to frame our dots and put them up on the wall.


“Is it art if no one can tell what it is?”
I think it is because it can still be beautiful.
I think it isn’t because some people don’t like the paintings.
Yes, because if I make it, I can still like it.


“Does someone have to like it for it to be art?”
Yes, I have to like it.
No.
Yes, I might not like it but someone else might.


“Is this dot you made art?”
No because it’s just one dot and one dot is nothing.
Yes, because I made it.
No because are needs to be something like a mermaid or flames.
No because I just don’t like it.
Yes because we are putting it in a frame on the wall.
It is art to me because I like it.
Yes because it doesn’t have to be something, it can just be art.

I don’t think this is art but I don’t know why.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black and White with Colours

Shades of Green

What Makes Us Happy?